| |
| | |

Printer Forum   

 Forgot password?
 register
Search
View: 2025|Reply: 13

Chalky residue all over print from Epson Photo Stylus R3000

[Copy link]

Post time: 2015-7-11 13:47:47 |Show all posts
I just made a print using Red River 13 x 19, the paper I always use. When I removed the print, I noticed there was a chalky substance all over it. It is also all over the feed try now and inside on both sides of the print-head carriage. I recently did a cleaning of the print-head but don't know if that could have anything to do with it. Has anyone encountered this?
I live in an area where there are no service centers anywhere near us.

Post time: 2015-7-12 09:28:30 |Show all posts
mike earussi wrote:
Kathy K wrote:
That's good to know. This seemed to be a sudden "dump" of stuff, however. Whatever it was, it had a reaction with the pigment on the paper and bleached or removed the color, wherever it landed. Is there any kind of substance that is stored in the printer and used for printhead cleaning?
Dust sticking to your paper will block the ink from depositing on it leaving white spots where the ink was blocked--no bleaching required.
What I said!
Joe
-- hide signature --MY VIDEO CHANNEL. PRINTING and personal videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949

Post time: 2015-7-12 07:54:04 |Show all posts
Kathy K wrote:
That's good to know. This seemed to be a sudden "dump" of stuff, however. Whatever it was, it had a reaction with the pigment on the paper and bleached or removed the color, wherever it landed. Is there any kind of substance that is stored in the printer and used for printhead cleaning?
Dust sticking to your paper will block the ink from depositing on it leaving white spots where the ink was blocked--no bleaching required.

Post time: 2015-7-12 06:10:01 |Show all posts
Kathy K wrote:
Thanks. I'm still mystified.
Well, just continue to print as normal and keep an eye out for anything odd.
The only sources it could possibly come from is external / environmental, which you say it is not, so it has to be from the paper itself.
Joe
-- hide signature --MY VIDEO CHANNEL. PRINTING and personal videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949

Post time: 2015-7-12 05:08:07 |Show all posts
Thanks. I'm still mystified.

Post time: 2015-7-12 03:12:05 |Show all posts
jtoolman wrote:
Kathy K wrote:
Yes; I forgot to name the paper. It was Aurora Art White C2S. I vacuumed out the residue and the printer doesn't seem to be depositing it anymore. I have used this paper previously and have not had this problem. It's very mysterious. There was no external source for this problem, as far as I know.
Katty I use that paper and never had that problem. But... you need to clean off the surface of any art type paper as they tend to sometimes have a lot of loose paper fibers and sometimes even bits off the paper coating itself.
Joe
Well said, Joe. I agree.
-- hide signature --MY VIDEO CHANNEL. PRINTING and personal videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949
-- hide signature --Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Post time: 2015-7-12 01:20:48 |Show all posts
Kathy K wrote:
That's good to know. This seemed to be a sudden "dump" of stuff, however. Whatever it was, it had a reaction with the pigment on the paper and bleached or removed the color, wherever it landed.
No. What will happen with any dust or other particles than are sitting on top of the paper at the time of printing basically get printed over. Then when these particles fall off they leave white spots.
They do not have any physical effect on the inks. No bleaching action as you put it.
Is there any kind of substance that is stored in the printer and used for printhead cleaning?
None. The printer only uses the very same inks that you use to print with during cleaning cycles.
Joe
-- hide signature --MY VIDEO CHANNEL. PRINTING and personal videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949

Post time: 2015-7-11 23:52:25 |Show all posts
That's good to know. This seemed to be a sudden "dump" of stuff, however. Whatever it was, it had a reaction with the pigment on the paper and bleached or removed the color, wherever it landed. Is there any kind of substance that is stored in the printer and used for printhead cleaning?

Post time: 2015-7-11 22:34:34 |Show all posts
Kathy K wrote:
Yes; I forgot to name the paper. It was Aurora Art White C2S. I vacuumed out the residue and the printer doesn't seem to be depositing it anymore. I have used this paper previously and have not had this problem. It's very mysterious. There was no external source for this problem, as far as I know.
Katty I use that paper and never had that problem. But... you need to clean off the surface of any art type paper as they tend to sometimes have a lot of loose paper fibers and sometimes even bits off the paper coating itself.
Joe
-- hide signature --MY VIDEO CHANNEL. PRINTING and personal videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949

Post time: 2015-7-11 20:53:09 |Show all posts
Yes; I forgot to name the paper. It was Aurora Art White C2S. I vacuumed out the residue and the printer doesn't seem to be depositing it anymore. I have used this paper previously and have not had this problem. It's very mysterious. There was no external source for this problem, as far as I know.

Post time: 2015-7-11 19:14:43 |Show all posts
Kathy K wrote:
I just made a print using Red River 13 x 19, the paper I always use. When I removed the print, I noticed there was a chalky substance all over it. It is also all over the feed try now and inside on both sides of the print-head carriage. I recently did a cleaning of the print-head but don't know if that could have anything to do with it. Has anyone encountered this?
I live in an area where there are no service centers anywhere near us.
Wait a minute. Using Red River 13 x 10 WHAT????
They have MANY different surfaces and types of paper.
Joe
-- hide signature --MY VIDEO CHANNEL. PRINTING and personal videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949

Post time: 2015-7-11 18:07:25 |Show all posts
Was that problem just with 1 sheet or did you try anymore sheets of the Red River paper. I would think it's a Red River paper problem. Have you gotten in touch with Red River tech support? If it is a Red River paper problem I'm sure they would want to know about it so it could be rectified as fast as possible.
Andrew

Post time: 2015-7-11 17:05:43 |Show all posts
xrdbear wrote:
bump
-- hide signature --Brian
Fine Art Print sales of the Isle of Skye at:
http://www.eyeofskye.co.uk/
There is nothing I know or heard about that would casue that on any EPSON.
Any external sources?
Joe
-- hide signature --MY VIDEO CHANNEL. PRINTING and personal videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949

Post time: 2015-7-11 15:45:49 |Show all posts
bump
-- hide signature --Brian
Fine Art Print sales of the Isle of Skye at:
http://www.eyeofskye.co.uk/
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Advertise on OASQ.COM| Contact us| Archive| OASQ

2021-10-23 05:40 GMT-8

Powered by Discuz! 7.2

Release 20121101, © 2001-2021 OASQ.

To Top